Recently purchased a makeup brush and wondering how to care for them? Read this post!
1. Before first use, wash your brushes!
Once you receive your brushes, it’s best to wash them before using it for the first time to get rid of any germs/bacteria! Use a gentle soap, preferably a dedicated soap for makeup brushes. Try one of our Brush Wash!
2. Store your brushes in a closed case
Once you’re done using your brushes, it’s best to keep it in a closed case (like those acrylic makeup holders with lids) so it does not get dusty or mingle with other items within your makeup bag or on your vanity. Some brush sets, (like our Lilac Luxe & Rose Kit) comes in a makeup bag, so you can keep them in those too!
3. Wash your brushes often, but do it correctly!
We can’t emphasize on this enough! Washing your brushes often has many benefits such as hindering breakouts, allowing the brush to pick up products easily when its fresh & clean, and great care of the brushes through regular cleaning makes it last longer!
But most importantly, do it correctly! Rinse them thoroughly, semi-dry with a towel and air-dry flat in an airy area! Doing this prevents those cracks on the brush handles and also that wet smelly odour from the bristles.
Here’s a more detailed step-by-step on how to clean your makeup brushes:
- Wet only the bristles of the brush with water
- Dip & swirl in a makeup brush cleanser (Like our Brush Wash)
- Lather your brush with soap and rub the bristles on the palm of your hand or cleaning mat to get all the dirty makeup out
- Rinse thoroughly with water
- Squeeze excess water out! Squeeeeze as much as you can!
- Semi-dry with a towel by running the brush back & forth. Also wipe away any water droplets on the handles & ferrule if any!
- Now that it’s semi-dry, you’re ready to lay it flat to air-dry.
If you semi-dry well, your brushes will be fully dry and ready for use in no time!